East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size plastic worm should I get to use on South Holston and/or Boone? I cant decide between the 4" and 7" Powerbait worms.

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
Actually Both. I have worms from 4" all the way up to 12" and have caught fish on all of them. Not a bad idea to have some variety for certain water conditions. Plus, sometimes, the fish want a smaller profile versus a larger one and vise versa.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know Im probably askin questions that cant be answered but forgive me. How do you know what size, color, etc. to use without buying and trying all of em?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
you can catch fish on these colors anywhere in the USof A..Ggreen pumpkin, Watermelon, for clear water and for darker water or night junebug and red shad.....yes I have more colors than this but these will work for you, then you can expand you selections.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys (and girls). I really wanna try softies worms, they sound like the best you can get but I think I will learn on a less expensive worm until i know what color and sizes I like. Is Powerbait any good?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I would go to walmart and get some ZOOM finesse worms and ZOOM mini lizards in Green Pumpkin and start there for Boone in the spring..

·
Premium Member
9,468 Posts
Z-91 you can catch fish on any of the manufactures worms. It amounts to what you have the most confidence in. I haven't used the Powerbait worms, but I think you can catch fish with them.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Well until I began making my own baits 10 years ago I was a diehard Culprit worm fisherman and only needed three colors and caught a ton fish on them and that was Red Shad, Tequlia Sunrise, and Black Grape Shad. I can't count all the fish I took on those three colors in 7 1/2 inch worms.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Z-91 you can catch fish on any of the manufactures worms. It amounts to what you have the most confidence in. I haven't used the Powerbait worms, but I think you can catch fish with them.
You are 100% correct. I use just about every brand out there but sometimes I think the fish want or need a scent to home in on the bait and to hold on to it longer so you can get a better hook set. I think the powerbait does that sometimes,,,but like Snoot said they stink..JMO

In no particular order Berkley, Culprit, Manns, Zoom are the primary ones I use....and some others

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
After years of fishing the "worm", I have figured out that size may not matter, smell may not matter, color may not matter and even where it came from may not matter.

What really matters is how you do the "worm dance"

Seriously, I grew up using a straight black worm (which I think evolved into a finesse worm) came on cardboard 6 to a pack. My dad taught me how to fish using these straight hooked no weight in ponds. I caught more bass like that than I have anything else.

Zoom is a very good choice in brand, I have been using Power Baits last couple of years found that the "shaky worm" they have works real well in that fashion. Have noticed fish that bite on power worms they hold on longer & I don't miss many but, they rip easily & don't last long.

I put garlic scent in all my bags of plastics as well.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Gosh GF01, I have been preaching that sermon for years when folks it talking about lines and trying to blame the line when they don't catch fish. I keep telling them that they need to worry more bout what that bait is doing then worrying bout the fish seeing the line cause fish ain't gonna hit the line................
Gonna hit the bait.....

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
On Holston in the summer I tournament fish with a 4 inch camo power worm on a 1/0 hook and 1/16 ounce sinker on 10 pound line in 10 years I finished all our tournaments in the top 6 or 7 and won a few.

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
you can catch fish on these colors anywhere in the USof A..Ggreen pumpkin, Watermelon, for clear water and for darker water or night junebug and red shad.....yes I have more colors than this but these will work for you, then you can expand you selections.

You been lookin' in my worm bag???

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts