East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know there are only a couple guys on here that fly fish but here goes anyway. I started fly fishing last summer mainly because I moved up to Kingsport from Sevier Co and left my favorite fishing spots and my favorite fishing buddy. I started fishing up here on the Soho and Ft Patrick Henry Tailwaters. I had been spin fishng for years and caught many trout. But one day I was on the water below FT Pat Hen throwing my are out trying to catch trout. After about an hour and seeing trout rising all around me,and me not catching crap I decided to start fly fishng. I had tried it a couple years back and caught a few but never got into it. But I decided to go head strong into it. After talking to some guys that only fly fish I learned what thay where hitting and started catching some rising trout. After some successfull trips I was hooked.

I think I like the art of it and the way you land the fish. You have to consider when spin fishing you mainly throw out and either set it on the bottom or reel in when you catch one you just reel in. Fly fishing is a little differrent, you have to think about all that goes into catching a trout on a fly rod. You have 3-4 knots that have to hold up and each knot is a different knot, kinda stressfull really. You have a knot at the fly, knot at the tippet,knot at the leader, then a knot at the main fly line. When you land one you dont just reel it in you have to "play" it. It took me 3-5 mins to get in a 16in rainbow on 7x tippet wich is about 2.4 pound test line one time. Its amazing how much the trout see differrent flies, you can throw a black midge and not even get a look but tie on a tan one and flat wear them out. And thats one a size 24 hook when most trout guys use a size 6-8 hook when spin fishing.

So I just thought I would share with you all why I fly fish. I still bass fish and very much look forward to the Tuesday night Wildcats this summer on the D, being on the new boat with Joe, but in the mean time Ill be on the Soho..........

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
GOSH MAN THAT MAKES ME WANT TO START ,THANKS FOR THE POST KEEP IT UP BROTHER

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohh whatever your so full of crap..........

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have never fly fished for trout, but I do enjoy fly fishing for smallies and bluegill. Nothing like seeing a smallie blow up on a popping bug.....and I have caught hundreds of bluegill in a day with the flyrod. With a little practice, casting is a breeze. I always wear a cap though....stuck a few poppers to my head

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah jtf i love catching those gills on a fly. it was a great way to learn how to set the hook. I remember my dad camping at Lauderdale Cove and me down in the cove catching those gills. Ive tried smallmouth fly fishing but yet to catch one. But ill give it another shot this summer. Its wierd i can throw a dry fly that weighs nothing a mile but when i try to throw a popper i can barely get it to go anywhere.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Most people who read this just think you are crazy for even wanting to do it. Too hard and too much trouble. Fly-fisherman in general get a bad rap for being, well for being snobs. I know a lot of folks who are hardcore fly-fisherman that could care less what you fish with as long as it is legal and many of them { myself included} fish with all kinds of equipment. Not one person that I fish with regularly fly-fishes. Flyfishing is just another technique to catch fish. It is only as hard and technical as you make it as I am sure you have discovered for yourself. Learning to cast and tie knots are crucial to success, but so is fly selection, line mending, playing a fish, and just general good all around fishing technique. Now with all that said , fly-fishing is not that different from spin or baitcasting from the learning standpoint. But the feeling you get when you take on a 20" brown or a 3lb smallie cannot even compare with anything else for me. Who knows maybe we will open up some doors for other folks on this site who might want to take on a new challenge.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah your right Brian. Brothers from different mothers......

Hey FW your so right, cant say anymore....

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well good ? Snoot ole buddy ole pal. The stockers are just as hungry as the wild trout and depending on the river or tailwater your in the stockers will hit about the same thing the wilds will. But when in mnt streams and rivers the bigger the fly is usually better. But for tailwaters smaller is usually better. Terrestrials are better in mountain streams than anywhere else, but matching the hatch is the most important thing in any place. Terrestrials are land bugs, ie grasshoppers,spiders,lady bugs,etc. And matching the hatch is where you find out what the trout are feeding on and match that with whats in your fly box. But on certain days ill catch nothing but browns and vice versa.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I was watching a fishing show the other day and they were fly fishing. I have seen people do it before, but until then I hadn't ever really thought "Hey, I'd like to do that". But it kinda got me wondering what it'd be like. Although I don't think I really wanna spend the money on new fly fishing equipment.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Snoot the rod is awsome especially since ive put a new reel and line on it. Casts so good and ive gotten many comments about it. Thanks a bunch...

Hey Bubba Snoot is right. Theres alot of starter kits out there that are very inexpencive and come already with line and backing. My started kit lasted me 2 years. I would start with a heavy rod so you could use it for smallmouthes and trout both.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hey Snoot the rod is awsome especially since ive put a new reel and line on it. Casts so good and ive gotten many comments about it. Thanks a bunch...

Hey Bubba Snoot is right. Theres alot of starter kits out there that are very inexpencive and come already with line and backing. My started kit lasted me 2 years. I would start with a heavy rod so you could use it for smallmouthes and trout both.

Yeah, I figured you could buy cheaper setups, but at the moment, I kinda hate to spend money on something like that not knowing if I would like it or could even do it. It's one of those things I could possibly saying a few 'choice words' after trying to use it the first 5 minutes....haha.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh trust me I still have some choice words, but who dont when fishin.

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
I have a fly rod that dad bought for me when i was about 10. I got the urge to try somthing diffrent as far as fishing methods. Grew up drowning worms in the river, behind the house here. You're right Brad, it really is a diffrent feeling and kind of fishing from spinning rods. So much more graceful in a sense. I never really latched on to the fly rod, so it has a pile of dust on it. My Hats off to any fisherman or Woman. Regardless of what they fish for or how they fish. It's a Great sport for us all to enjoy.

Hey Brad, how many times have you watched " A River Runs Through It"??
One of my fav movies!!

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah jj it is a pretty good movie, only seen it 1 time though. My hats off to any one who catches monster smallies like you do......

·
Registered
104 Posts
J-N-J it is a fine sport indeed. Although I was fly-fishing before the movie I have watched it many times and now own two copies of it. Now this season knock the dust off that gear and catch some 'gills when the action is slow. You never know you just might tie into a monster bass

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have two fly rods and I have been probably 10 times. I went once with a friends dad and we caught fish and I loved it.....after that I went probably 9 times and haven't caught fish one.....maybe I need to hook up with some of you guys and let you teach me how to work those flies....

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im gonna head out sat for awhile.......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts