East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this talk on braid has got me wondering. When do most of you guys use braided line? And do you rig it with a leader for whatever application your using it with?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Leader, and all use it 95% of the time. 4/15-6/20

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
C-rigs,with leader of mono, Flippin jigs in really heavy cover, and crankbaits on 20lb test 6 pound diameter Sufix Braid and fishing Frogs over matted weeds with 60lb test

·
Registered
422 Posts
I use it on nearly everything. Except topwaters, and lighter worm setups. The lighter braid kniks easy when fished on the bottom causeing lots of breaks.

It is the stuff to use with open hooks like swiming a grub/jig or spinnerbait buzzbait!!! Talk about setting the hook. I also use it as my main line with the FnF.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use it on nearly everything. Except topwaters, and lighter worm setups. The lighter braid kniks easy when fished on the bottom causeing lots of breaks.

It is the stuff to use with open hooks like swiming a grub/jig or spinnerbait buzzbait!!! Talk about setting the hook. I also use it as my main line with the FnF.

Do you fish it with a leader when you use it with jigs, t-rigs, etc?

·
Registered
319 Posts
The only time I use braid is for frog fishing in the slop for the largemouth. Everything else is mono, I guess I'm old school.

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
i almost always use mono becuase its the most versitale. i use it on my FNF rig since i use the swivel system. i do like it on a Crig tho.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use fireline for spinners and crankbaits, no leader - and use mono for everything else. The zero stretch makes for a lot of fun when a big one stops those fast moving baits.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I use braid a lot but mostly with a leader. c-rig I use Spiderwire 12LB diameter 60LB test (also use this on the jig with 20 Flourocarbon), on spinning reels with SH I use PowerPro 20 LB and fireline 14LB with an 8 to 12 LB Flourocarbon leader. About the only time I will use braid with no leader is when fishing a frog or jig in matted grasss and sometimes when throwing a SB. You can feel the fish breath on you baits when using braid it is very telegraphing of everything in the water.

Rocks will cut braid pretty easy that is why most folks use a leader. Leaders also keep the braid away from the bait making it appear more natural.

Tip.....Open water crankbaits if you want to get your deep diving CB down really deep throw it on a 10 or 12 LB braid.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use mine for all fishing, except for ice fishing (Not that you need to worry about ice) and for fishing for perch/crappie/blue gill. If i am fishing for bass I will not use a leader. But if im fishing for walleye, muskie, pike, or if I know they are in teh area i will use a leader.

Hope this helps,

Corey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts