East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall,

I recently bought a boat, and Cheatham Lake/Cumberland is the closest body of water too me. I've never really had the opportunity to fish these waters before. Does anyone have some tips on what to target and what lures work the best? I'm not looking for Grandpa's favorite fishing hole, but any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Well, I've put in at Brush Creek and Doziers.
Ok Doziers is right at the mouth of the Harpeth river which does have some great fishing up in it. You just need to be careful while running up in it. There are some tricky spots in it and gets hard to navigate after you go under 49 Bridge. Great smallmouth up there. Sycamore Creek is a short run up river from Doziers on the left hand bank. It has some great fishing after you go under the railroad bridgein it but might need to be sure about boat speed cause I think they made teh whole creek a no wake zone. Bluff on the left normally has some lay downs on it after you exit the RR bridge. Good spinner bait and flippin area and you can go back about another mile and thats about it. If you come out of Doziers and turn left towards the dam you will come up on a few Islands on your left. Right now in the shallows behind those Islands you should fine a good top water bite. Buzz baits and Zara Spooks work well back there. If you run far enough up river from Doziers you will go under the new Hwy 49 Bridge and see that double launch ramp. About a mile or little more on the right hand bank going up after the bridge you should see two big culverts coming out of the bank into the river. Start fishing just below those culverts with T-Rigged Craw or other creature bait, Brush hog etc and you should pull some nice Smallies off that bank for about 200 yards going up stream. River Road runs right along the river right there and lots of Chunk rocks and boulders down that bank. Your going to hang u some cause these a lot of stumps along that bank in about 8 feet of water but you should find some nice fish there making the hang ups worth having. Good luck and let me know how you do.

Softy

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Hey Softy,

Thanks for all the info. I may try to get out there tomorrow, but college football is trying to pull me in the other direction. I'll definitely keep you posted. Thanks again for taking the time.

Not a problem my friend. If you need more help on Cheatham let me know. I grew up fishing it through my teenage years and have been on it several times in past few years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I managed to get out there on Sunday for a few hours. Took my wife and the radio for the titans game, so it wasn't all about fishing. I did manage to catch a couple large mouth. No hogs, but one was decent, coming in around 1.5-2#'s. Caught them both on a spinner bait. Threw a jig too, but didn't fish it long.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Thanks for the report and glad you caught a few anyway. I will probably fish Cheatham a litle more this coming Spring and Summer. It's a great lake. I'm not sure why they call it a lake since it is about 99.9% river system...............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.