East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live very close to the forks of the river.. and hope to take my kayak out soon. Will be putting in at island home and paddling up to the fork. I have had very little luck here in the past, but would love to find a pattern so close to home. Plan to take 2 rods.. one spinning and one bait caster.

I think I'm going to troll a crankbait up the main channel to the fork.. not sure which river to go up or what to throw when I get there.

Even though I have had very little luck in the area I refuse to believe that there are no fish at the junction of 2 major rivers. Any advice?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went to the river after work.. couldn't believe how fast the water was moving. I paddled for almost hour up stream.. took only around 20-30 mins to get back. Tried trolling a white bandit crankbait but no luck. There were fish breaking around the opening of the canal from behind the airport, but they stopped almost as soon as I casted.

Plan to head back soon.. just feel like there has to be fish in that area.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
there are plenty of fish in that area, douglas dam just shut their flood gates for the first time in a while yesterday, it has really been roaring through downtown since about january. i would try a shakey head or tube bait against the bluff/cliff walls especially around ijams of texas rig around all the wood

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply rusty. Man.. do I know they have been running water! I normally paddle from island home to the fork in around 40 mins. I haven't made it there this year. At my rate yesterday it would have taken me 2 hours. They were running the gates and douglas and 2 gates at cherokee.. felt like it wasn't even moving if I paddled in the middle of the river. There was however a whirlpool effect near the ijams bluff. If I stopped paddling the current would literally just turn me in circles. Was fun! Ill keep trying!

·
Registered
41 Posts
always used to do pretty well on that first bluff wall in the fb on the left by the old boat ramp on jigs and tubes. Also pretty well on small crankbaits on the riprap by searay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts