East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was getting my TN numbers for my boat and they asked me if I wanted tags for my trailer. So I says, do I need them? Only if you go out of state, they said, especially Florida...Didn't know that, guess I am lucky I have been to Fl, GA , NC, MD, VA, SC, KY and Al with no tag and no tickets. Did you all know this or was I just misinformed?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ya I know about this. When I bought my boat they wouldn't send me a tag. They said I didn't need one. If you get pulled over they said just show'em you tn info and you will be fine. I would rather have a tag on my trailer. That way you don't have to go thru the mess of getting pulled over

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
WHen I bought the Skeeter, she told me I didnt have to have a tag, BUT I had to buy one just to get the trailer registered in my name and a title. So I bought the one, but will not renew them.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh by the way it cost $92.00 but you do not have to renew it. It is good as long as you own the trailer. Although its NON TRANSFERABLE.......

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
You shouldnt half to have a tag in TN and it should be fine if you leave cause you live in a diferent state with diferent laws. Why should you half to buy a tag if the state doesnt require it.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I've had issues with Georgia law enforcement before. Been stopped three times in that state because the trailer didn't have a tag on it. Two of the stops were OK,,,,,,told the officer I was from TN and nothing more was said. One of the stops, the officer kept insisting that I needed a tag if I was going to travel in the great state of GA. After a lengthy discussion, I ask him to call a supervisor to the seen. Then he told me to go on my way. I believe he just wanted to give me a hard time.

J

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what the Licsnse plate guy was telling me "IF" you go out of state is the only time you need it.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I have fished in about every state from Texas to West Virginia and only been stopped twice about no trailer tags and soon as the police officers saw teh Tennessee Handicap tags they sent me peddling down the road.......

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Before anyone asks it's for Mental Retardation.........

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do not plan on handing out the $92.00 but hope I am as lucky as you guys are and not get a ticket. I just thought it was odd that the tag place bring it up....maybe they needed the additional revenue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't know what the deal is on trailer tags here in Ky. Some new boats have tags and some don't. When licensing my ancient armada i've never been questioned about trailer tags and I sure ain't asking. It's the same way with utility trailers, some have them and some don't. I've never been stopped anywhere regarding trailer tags.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Z-91 I can tell you that the state of TN will go to bat for you over the tag issue. I received a $50 fine in the great state of GA by a federal warden. I came home and got to digging and the county clerk would not sell me a tag. She even copied the law straight from the book and gave it to me. She said that If I got a semi tag that the other states could ask me for my fuel stickers and log book, just like I was an over the road driver for a trucking company. The only way you have to have a tag is if you are a commercial fisherman or for hire.

When I received my summons to appear in Fedral court in Gainsville GA, I finally contacted the TN State Attourny Generals office. He made a few calls and called me back in about an hour. I then got a call from the GA DNR and the judge from GA. The officer was reprimanded and the case was kicked out. I still have the ticket hanging in the mouth of one of my mounts at home. I figure it is one of the best trophies I have yet.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think it would be easy for the tags to get damaged anyway if they're hanging down off of the trailer. Seen a few bent back from low clearance issues.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
In Virginia you have to have a tag and if your trailer has breaks it has to have a sticker on it to.

·
Registered
210 Posts
IF YOU LIVE IN TN. AND YOU BOUGHT YOUR BOAT AND TRAILOR THERE, YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO HAVE A TAG. IF YOU BUY A NEW BOAT AND TRAILER THE TITLE SHOULD BE PUT IN YOUR NAME BY THE BOAT DEALER. I HAVE BOUGHT SEVERAL NEW BOATS AND THAT IS THE WAY IT WORKS.

IF YOU LIVE IN VIRGINIA OR ANY SURROUNDING STATE, IF THE BOAT AND TRAILERS PRIMARY STATE OF USE IS TN. YOU CAN REGISTER THE BOAT IN TN. AND DON'T NEED TAGS OR INSPECTION STICKERS. THAT IS TN. LAW. IF IN DOUGHT CHECK WITH THE COUNTY CLERK AND SHE WILL TELL YOU THE SAME THING. BUY THE WAY THE TAG IS NOT REQUIRED IF THE STATE THE BOAT AND TRAILOR IS REGISTERED IN DOESN'T REQUIRE IT.

FOR ANOTHER STATE TO SAY YOU HAVE TO HAVE A TAG IS LIKE, TELLING YOU YOU HAVE TO BUY YOUR CAR INSURANCE THERE BECAUSE THEY DON'T HONOR TN. LAW.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Not surprised about VA.

I lived in Northern VA while stationed at the Marine Corps base at Quantico. My windshield had all kinds of tags on it (tag to enter the military installation, county sticker, state sticker, emissions sticker). They tax you coming-and-going in that state. Glad I don't reside there anymore; hope TN does not become that way).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts