East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! Was wondering if anyone could offer some tips on where to find hybrids and stripers in Cherokee from now through spring?

·
Premium Member
5,979 Posts
I'm sure there'll be a few by soon to post some help...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Boone Angler is correct, Find the birds and you find the Stripes. A lot of catching is happening from pt 21 up to 26 right now. Most of the stripers are small(2-7lbs) due to the die off this past year. Still a lot of good hybrids out there though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That is what people don't understand, to grow a 40 lb striper takes around 30 years. That is why it is important to let the big ones go, if you want a mount, get a replica, if you want to eat, eat a smaller one or a hybrid. Snoot, stripers are very sensitive to warm water. The bigger they are, the more sensitive they become. Once the water reaches 72 ish degrees, the big stripers( 15 lbs or bigger) go deep loking for more comfortable water( even if that means less O2). The problem on Cherokee is there is very little O2 for them at those depths. That is why there is a no fish zone in the summer, There are aerators down by the dam, however they are for downstream water quality. The problem with the fish kill this summer was with the drought, TVA sharply reduced the generation schedule meaning the O2 supply got shut off before the lake was cool enough for the stripers to find cooler oxygenated water. If a 15- 20 lb striper is caught in water over 72 degrees, he has a very slim chance of survival if released, the bigger the fish the lower probability of it's survival in that warm water.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boone Angler is correct, Find the birds and you find the Stripes. A lot of catching is happening from pt 21 up to 26 right now. Most of the stripers are small(2-7lbs) due to the die off this past year. Still a lot of good hybrids out there though.

Thanks for the info guys! I hope to get out there within the next 2 weeks. I don't keep anything except a few crappie and walleyes now and then. The stripers and hybrids are a lot of fun though. Hate to hear about the die off. I'll let you know how I do when I get out.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks erik that was informative. I didn't know that about stripers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thanks erik for splaining things!

I have never fished for stripers although it interest me and I have been wondering about the die off after it was posted. You explained it very well.

I hope you guys and all the rest of the southern states get all the rain you need this year.

Cheers

G

·
Great info about strippers! I've never really fished for strippers. Lets say I find the stripers... What are the best baits and techniques for catching strippers? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Thanks great info

1 - 14 of 14 Posts