East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just recently gotten into fishing for trout in the river (used to only try for SM), and while I see the beauty in fly-fishing, I want to stick with my spinning reels. I'm fishing in a an area that gets a lot of traffic (Nance Ferry), and I would assume that most of the trout are starting to get wise to the basic rooster tail. I've got a number of variations such as some of the Blue Fox stuff etc.

Yesterday I went to Walmart to check out what other bait choices I had, and I found a pretty good selection. Has anyone tried the flies that have a spinner attached to an elongated shaft, similar to a rooster tail but with actual flies at the end instead of just the tail? I also got a small Rebel Teeny Craw crankbait that I'd like to try out. Do trout even feed on crawdads?

All in all, what are some good trout lure choices that you've found (rooster tail or otherwise)? Preferred weights and colors would also be very helpful. I'll be glad to share any info from my trial and error experiences as I go along. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've just recently gotten into fishing for trout in the river (used to only try for SM), and while I see the beauty in fly-fishing, I want to stick with my spinning reels. I'm fishing in a an area that gets a lot of traffic (Nance Ferry), and I would assume that most of the trout are starting to get wise to the basic rooster tail. I've got a number of variations such as some of the Blue Fox stuff etc.

Yesterday I went to Walmart to check out what other bait choices I had, and I found a pretty good selection. Has anyone tried the flies that have a spinner attached to an elongated shaft, similar to a rooster tail but with actual flies at the end instead of just the tail? I also got a small Rebel Teeny Craw crankbait that I'd like to try out. Do trout even feed on crawdads?

All in all, what are some good trout lure choices that you've found (rooster tail or otherwise)? Preferred weights and colors would also be very helpful. I'll be glad to share any info from my trial and error experiences as I go along. Thanks for all your help!

I like to throw small jerkbaits and jigs also. I have caught some large trout on crawfish and have found them full of them when cleaning them.( in certain streams and rivers)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like to throw small jerkbaits and jigs also. I have caught some large trout on crawfish and have found them full of them when cleaning them.( in certain streams and rivers)

Thanks for the replies! What kind of depth do you throw the jerkbaits and jigs in? Like I said, I'm new to trout fishing, but had always heard they prefer shallow, fast-moving water as well as deeper holes just down from it. Also, I've got about a 3 inch Yozuri jerkbait that I've caught a ton of smallies on. I'll have to give that a try.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As you mentioned the Rebel Crawfish crankbait in 1-1/2" and 2". Countdown Rapalas in the 1-1/2", 2", and 2-3/4" sizes, ditto for floatng Rapalas. I haven't tried the Leland's Lures Lures Trout Magnets for trout yet, but they work great for panfish. Leadhead jigs from 1/64 oz to 1/8 oz with plastic grubs 1", 1-1/2", and 2" sizes. Sidwinder spoons, Kastmasters, and Little Cleos in the small sizes. Mepps, Panther Martins, and Roostertails.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think the flies with spinners you refer to are the Joe's Flies. I've caught some really nice rainbows on the number 10 gold bladed fly with the black wooly worm with the red yarn tail. The wooly worm is made with black chenile, wound around the hook shank and has a hackle wound with it so the black feather sticks out all the way around and for the lenght of the entire hookshaft.........no wings, just looks like a very long haired catterpillar. Excellent lure. In the current, the feather hairs (barbels) bend back and present the hook properly.

Another way to fish rainbows is to use a number 8 plain shank hook, also available at Wally World. Use the Berkley Power Bait in Rainbow color to ball the hook. It's a firm paste and easy to form into a small ball, covering the hook. I use a small splitshot about 2.5 feet up the line just heavy enought to hold in the current. If the sinker is too close to the hook, the fish may just come up to the bait and bump it with it's nose but not take it. I've seen this several times.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the great tips guys! The last time I hit the lower holston river I had good success with a number 2 mepps minnow. And yes, Macon, those are called Joe's Flies. Has anyone tried a small chatterbait out on the river?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts