East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I had a record fishing trip on the Pigeon today. In my previous thread I explained our frustration with possibility of the river being over-run by trout. Nevermind that now. We caught MANY photo-worthy smallmouth today - several between 2 and 3 pounds, two between 3 and 4 pounds, and I landed a 6 1/2 pound monster! Unfortunately I forgot to bring along extra batteries for the camera, and wouldn't you know, as Murphy's Law would have it, the camera died. Luckily we managed to get four decent pictures. My camera does this weird thing where you have to wipe the lens before you take a picture, otherwise the photo will be discolored and kind of fuzzy. When I caught the beast, we knew the camera was dying so my partner had to quickly take a couple of pictures, and he didn't have time to wipe the lens; so the pictures are not great, unfortunately.

This is BY FAR the largest bass I have ever caught. I'm guessing I'll never catch another smallmouth of this size ever again - especially not in this river. I've been fishing this river for a long time and had no idea smallies of this size lived there. We were dumbfounded to say the least. It was caught on a football jig, in a relatively deep eddy-pool, only about 6 or 7 feet away from the boat. The fight didn't last very long, only because it was hooked so close to the boat - and because we had a net (thank God). Because we see so many large drum in this river, at first site we both assumed this beast was a drum. Even after we got it in the boat, it took a second for us to realize what just happened. We then just sat there, staring at the fish in complete awe. After about 30 seconds of this, we scrambled to get a couple of pictures, weighed and measured it, and then released it.

I wish we had some better pictures, but here they are. The first two pictures below are of the beast, the next two are a couple other pictures we got before the camera died (earlier in the day).

·
Premium Member
5,979 Posts
Great job guys! Those are some awesome fish!

·
Registered
467 Posts
That thing is a hawg! I hate to hear about your camera troubles, but I'm sure the experience was well worth it. There's nothing like having a big ol' smallie on the end of your line!

·
Registered
250 Posts
A buddy and I had a record fishing trip on the Pigeon today. In my previous thread I explained our frustration with possibility of the river being over-run by trout. Nevermind that now. We caught MANY photo-worthy smallmouth today - several between 2 and 3 pounds, two between 3 and 4 pounds, and I landed a 6 1/2 pound monster! Unfortunately I forgot to bring along extra batteries for the camera, and wouldn't you know, as Murphy's Law would have it, the camera died. Luckily we managed to get four decent pictures. My camera does this weird thing where you have to wipe the lens before you take a picture, otherwise the photo will be discolored and kind of fuzzy. When I caught the beast, we knew the camera was dying so my partner had to quickly take a couple of pictures, and he didn't have time to wipe the lens; so the pictures are not great, unfortunately.

This is BY FAR the largest bass I have ever caught. I'm guessing I'll never catch another smallmouth of this size ever again - especially not in this river. I've been fishing this river for a long time and had no idea smallies of this size lived there. We were dumbfounded to say the least. It was caught on a football jig, in a relatively deep eddy-pool, only about 6 or 7 feet away from the boat. The fight didn't last very long, only because it was hooked so close to the boat - and because we had a net (thank God). Because we see so many large drum in this river, at first site we both assumed this beast was a drum. Even after we got it in the boat, it took a second for us to realize what just happened. We then just sat there, staring at the fish in complete awe. After about 30 seconds of this, we scrambled to get a couple of pictures, weighed and measured it, and then released it.

I wish we had some better pictures, but here they are. The first two pictures below are of the beast, the next two are a couple other pictures we got before the camera died (earlier in the day).

Congratulations on the monster smallmouth!!! One that size is a rare happening.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Congratulations

·
Registered
95 Posts
HOLY COW THAT IS MAYBE THE BIGGEST SMALLIES I VE EVER SEEN COME FORM THE RIVERS IN OUR AREA. AN I VE BEEM DOING IT FOR 30 YEARS CONGRADS. KEEP ON FISHING!!!!!!![sub][/sub]

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Maybe I missed it, how long was this smallie?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe I missed it, how long was this smallie?

We measured it right at 22 inches...

I'm getting a break from work for a few months (school teacher) - hopefully I'll get a chance to get out there more often. I'm hoping for a few more trips like this one
. Trying to get out there this weekend - will post a report if we do.

·
Registered
467 Posts
We measured it right at 22 inches...

I'm getting a break from work for a few months (school teacher) - hopefully I'll get a chance to get out there more often. I'm hoping for a few more trips like this one
. Trying to get out there this weekend - will post a report if we do.
Myself and smokepurple are school teachers as well! I can't speak for y'all, but I'm gonna be out on the river all the time, haha.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Whoa! Great fish! LOVE IT! I'm more of a trout girl myself, but have decided after some great trips with my husband that smallmouth fishing in the river is pretty fun, too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.