East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have information on Odom Trout Lake in Carter County, TN? I fish in that area regularly and see it on maps and charts. I figured out where it is and got close to it, but I don't have any information on it. Is it on private property? What's the story behind it?

Any information would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
There was a post on this a few weeks ago I believe in the post people said it is a private lake owned by a pharmacist. Do a quick search for the forum

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sneed. I did a search before I posted this and didn't find anything. Just did another and still didn't find anything. If you run across that info, please let me know!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello TN Mountain,

I posted the info about Odom's lake a few weeks back. I just did a search here also and couldn' find anything either.

Anyway, the lake is on top of Walnut mountain near the Dennis Cove section of Carter County. Dennis Cove is in the mountains above Hampton, Tenn. In the late sixties, a man named John Odom and his wife lived on several acres of mountain land and he built a fairly large lake up there to offer fishing for pay to the public in a mountain setting. The lake was stocked with Rainbow trout. Most people that fished used live bait. Mr. Odom would fly fish when no customers were there. A friend of mine and I worked a little bit for him picking up trash, etc. and he would let us fish. The trout would hit a dry fly late in the afternoon, just before dark. We caught fish up to about twenty inches on a fly rod. As teenagers, and beginner fly fishermen, we thought that we were in Heaven. The Odom's could not make enough on the lake to keep it going, so they shut down the fishing about two years after they started. Mr. Odom died and his widow sold the property to a pharmicist from Elizabethton. A large portion of the mountain land was sold to a nursery, I don't know if she sold it or the pharmicist re-sold part of what he bought from her.

I had not thought of the lake for years until I saw the inquiry on this site a few weeks ago.

I hope that this answers your questions...................Basscat

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! Thanks Basscat! I fish Laurel Fork a good bit and have been all over the Walnut Mountain area. I found the road that leads to access to the lake and saw it was on private property and have long wondered the story behind the lake and that entire area up there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have information on Odom Trout Lake in Carter County, TN? I fish in that area regularly and see it on maps and charts. I figured out where it is and got close to it, but I don't have any information on it. Is it on private property? What's the story behind it?

Any information would be great! Thanks!
Its a private lake that has been owned by a family since the eighties. Its not a phamacist that is their neighbor who has some acreage near it. It is one of my best friends place. We are going up there this weekend. It has some bass and bluegill in it but we don't fish it that much. Some in the spring and summer. We mostly camp and hunt. Really cool place tho.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its a private lake that has been owned by a family since the eighties. Its not a phamacist that is their neighbor who has some acreage near it. It is one of my best friends place. We are going up there this weekend. It has some bass and bluegill in it but we don't fish it that much. Some in the spring and summer. We mostly camp and hunt. Really cool place tho.
The people that started this farm were my cousins, John and Barbara Thompson Odom. Yes, John passed and Barbara did sell out. Went there many times as a young girl and teenager. John had a trout farm and would take us down to the hatchery when we were there. Beautiful place. They were very happy and content!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts