East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have noticed alot of you guys really like this river....i plan on trying it this spring. what is the best way to fish it, wading or a float trip. anyone know where the best access points are for either wading or floats. also could anyone give the best times of the year or some good techniques?

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
Well if you can float it it would be best, but on the other hand ive never floated it. Theres plenty of places to park and walk. One of the best places is under the bridge near Hardees. And down near the fairgrounds. Bring plenty of minnnows, float them about 2ft. Get the medium size ones and hang on. Start going early spring and up until the start of summer. Its the best around for river smallies........

·
Registered
78 Posts
I start in mid March throwing 1/8 oz jigs. I fish 1/8 oz tubes and jigs on through June unless the water is up then I move up to 1/4. Any natural colors seem to work well, with green pumpkin taking the cake. I wade 90% of the time but I do float if I have all day to fish. The river is awesome. The numbers really pick up in April and May. But I like the early time for my big fish. I have fished them during the spawn and caught some monsters, but the traffic keeps me away now. Target water with deep holes near gravel bars or rocky bottom near sand and you'll do great. Ice white baby flukes also work great worked on top. I mostly try this later on into the summer but it'll work most of the spring and fall to.

Very your retrieve. Crawl it on the bottom and feel every rock. Or bounce it aggressively like a fleeing crawfish. I like to work a tube slowly up to a sand or gravel bar and then swim it across the bar and watch the aggressive guys swim up and catch it on the bar.

There are some pigs lurkin in there.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have camped on and fished it alot I agree with the other post but dont forget about the good topwater bite in june and july I have had 50 and 60 fish days on top with poppers and bussbait any color is good as long as it is white . And that small ice fluke is really good I have floated and wadded I like to float because im lazy but one of the best days I had was my wife and son and I took a raft down and I wadded most of the time when I got tired I would float a while we probably caught 100 fish that day with 2 4 lbs try it you will like it !!!!

G

·
We fish the river quite a bit in the spring and the fishing is great. One time last year we floated from the fairground area almost to the Frenched Broad with decent success. We used flukes and wee-crawl crankbaits.

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, i'm looking to try it this spring. i used to float the noli all the time a few years ago but have gone pretty much to lake fishing now. i've been wanting to hit this river and the big pigeon for a while for a shot at some big ones. the noli is awesome for numbers but not the best for size though. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
We've had great luck behind the fiar grounds, I got a 7 pounder there a couple springs ago.....

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
yeah he still gives me greif over this one because i talked him into throwing it back and the picture didnt turn out either

G

·
Hey TnJed just go past the Smoky Mountain Knife Works on 66 like your going to sevierville, right before you get downtown there will be a Lowe's on your right. We parked in the Lowe's parking lot and carried the kayak down to the river.This will put you straight across the river from the Fair Grounds. Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Shortcast. If you don't mind me asking were do you take out. I am just curious b/c I have a canoe and would love to float it once or twice this year. Thanks alot.

G

·
When we floated it there were two of us in the canoe and we paddled back-up stream, not the smartest thing we ever did.
I think if you looked down around the Pilot station beside the knife works building you may be able to find a place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts