East Tennessee Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which do you guys use most, and what is the determining factor when trying to decide. Do you use Flourocarbon to get the bait down as deep as possible? Is water clarity a determination as well as temp?

·
Registered
319 Posts
When using suspending jerkbaits in spring you need to know the depth you are fishing, that's the most important part. When the water starts to warm the fish begin to move up to large flats and suspend, if you're fishing in water that is 10 to 12 feet deep you'll want a jerkbait that runs in the 5 to 7 foot range, most of the time thats where the fish will be. As the water temp climbs the fish will move shallower and you'll need a bait that runs at a shallower depth naturally.As far as line is concerned, I don't like flourocarbon, it sinks and because of it sinking with a suspending bait it'll cause the line to get tangled in the lures trebles, you're better off using mono.

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
Which do you guys use most, and what is the determining factor when trying to decide. Do you use Flourocarbon to get the bait down as deep as possible? Is water clarity a determination as well as temp?

I absolutley use Florocarbon, because it sinks and keeps the bait a little deeper and with no stretch you got a better chance landed a fish that hits say on the long cast, also you get better action out of your bait then with mono because of the no stretch thing. IMO. I through a lot of jerkbaits on clear water lakes and have won a few dollars here and there becasue of them. If your not fishing jerk's on clear water lakes then your missing some FANTASTIC fishing. When the water is cold I use deepr diving when it warms I'll come up with the bait that dives shallower.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Jerkbaits can be great for catching fish. This time of year you can still catch fish on them but you have ti fish deeper( staysee's) and deep suspending rogue's and fish them real, real, real slow. Did I mention you had to fish them slow. Crank them down to the depth they run then wait 30 seconds to a minute between jerks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts