East Tennessee Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going down to Santee later this month. Will be staying closest to Lake Marion. Has anyone been down? Got any ideas what the largemouth might be biting? Thanks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Good luck. I'm headed down in March. Watch out for the stumps.

The fish should be on the same pattern as always there. Their weather has been about like normal but a little warmer. The water is probably a little muddy since they have been getting some much needed rain. Soft plastics and shallow cranks is where I would start.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same here, going down march 14th... We went last year in middle if march and caught a lot on plastics and spinners... We fish mostly moultrie.. Good luck keep us updated!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I will try the softplastics and cranks. Will let you all know what we get into. Thanks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm going to be there the first week of March on vacation but I'll only get a day or two of fishing since I'll be visiting family also. Maybe I'll have something to share with you guys before the March crowd goes.

I've never fished the lower lake for bass, only catfish. I'll be going out of Pack's Landing probably since I know that area of the lake a lot better. I grew up fishing it and fished it until I moved up here in 2009.

Good luck to you guys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went down this weekend fished Sunday all day, Monday afternoon, and Tuesday morning. We tried all day Sunday for largemouth with no luck at all. We tried shallow, deep, cranks, jerk baits, spinner baits, soft plasics, jigs, silver buddies, etc. The locals said they were catching them good before Christmas but they pulled the lake a few feet and they quit. They seemed to think the bass will start again real soon since the lake has come back up in the last few days. The water temp was 50 - 51.

We had some good reports for white bass, stripers, and crappie. We caught 24 Monday afternoon mostly white bass up shallow in the backs of creeks on gulp minnows and grubs. These may have actually been white perch we werent really sure but they were fun to catch and the biggest one's were a little over a pound. Only caught 4 largemouth and they were all nonkeepers. Had one good size stripe, a crappie, and a couple of unkowns. We later identified our big fish of the day as a chain pickerel. It looked kinda of like a musky and was over 2' long. The other we think was some kind of perch it was green with black markings with a little orange. Caught 20 Tuesday morning with about the same mix and then packed up and came home. Big fish for Tuesday was about a 3 pound striper. Might try again in a few weeks for the largemouth and will let you all know. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts