East Tennessee Fishing banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
East Tennessee is blessed with many dams and locks. I've seen the pros fish around them in tournys on TV. I know there can be a huge danger factor around them more so on the release side where the current is strong especially when generating.

Are there any tips any of you would be willing to share about fishing around the locks in particular? I'm guessing the lockmaster has total control over the area around the dam and locks. When there's traffic locking through I'm sure you want to stay clear of the lock area for everyone's safety.

Thanks for any help on the subject.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Fish around the outside edges of the lock. The current is less than you would think around locks. I cannot speak to the dam part as I never fish on the dam, just around the locks. Watch the boat traffic and stay out of the way you will be OK.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
When and if your ever fishing the tail water just below the dam never ever put an anchor down and if you do have your life jackets on and very sharp knife inwhich to cut the anchor ropes. There are still several boats on the bottom below Old Hickory Dam that were lost because they were anchored down when they opened the gates to begin generating and the folks could not get the anchors unhooked off the bottom before the water sucked the boats under. Three deaths have come from it because they were not wearing Life jackets..........

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info about fishing around the dams and locks. Really don't plan to fish that close to the dam on the downstream side. Seen a couple videos of what you guys are talking about when the gates open. Not a place I'd want to be.

Would like to fish around the locks some though as long as the current isn't too strong. Will keep an eye out for traffic and stay away from the area. Bassboats verses barges is a no win situation everytime.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts