East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has probaby been discussed here before but never hurts to keep things fresh in the mind. All Bass are very fierce competitors when it comes to food and competing for it. Of course most of us know that schooling bass or bass in jumps under normal conditions are seldom large fish. Mostly if you can pull three pounders out of these situations your way ahead cause most cases they are schools of smaller fish. When your looking for the bigger Bass and the Hawgs you have to go where they live. Now this is where the fishing tactics get the same approach you can use on schooling fish but you must remember the fish numbers are not going to be there. Only the fish sizes.

Now all Bass are predators and when in persuit of the bigger ones in many cases since that have lived in an area for a long time they will in most cases be the dominate bass in that area. That means that they have sucessfully made it clear to the smaller fish that they don't belong there and most smaller fish will remain out of range of the Hawg of the Bush (so to say) or become a meal. Now this dominating fish will react very fast to intruders entering their turf. Their Dominating Predator instinct will kick into high speed when invaded and they will strike violently in most cases. The object of the angler is to spark that instinct which can sometimes require a unique approach and long casts. I have found a very unique rig for getting this job done. I found it years back and then lost it when the company that made a specific bait quit making them. I found out that the bait has been revived and is being sold again so I thought it would be good to share this again. Many of the older anglers are familar with the old Front Runners by Norman baits. Most anglers used them on big Crankbait rigs. I found out about 12 years ago just how great they can be on a top water rig, especially in the early to mid Spring when the biggest Hawgs are shallow. The rig is simple to create with the Front Runners. You tie the tag end of your line to the nose of the front runner and put a 12 inch leader off the rear of it. Then on the tag end of the leader you tie on a Bass colored Zara Spook.(other spook colors will also work but Bass color works best). You can make very long casts with this rig. I find that this rig works really well on main lake points where they enter Coves for big hawgs that have moved up on the points in pre spawn locations. Boat positioning is important when fishing this rig. You want to position your boat so you can fish the rig across the point and NOT directly down the point. The bass will lay off both sides of the point and you start by casting up to the top of the point closest to the land and fan cast the entire point from shallow to deepest while keeping your boat well off the point. Your work the bait just like the Walk the Dog Spook would normally be worked. When the big Hawg sees her territory invaded by a smaller fish chasing a bait fish his predatory instincts go into a rage and she attacks the Spook viciously. Some of the strikes can be heart stopping.......

This also works really well for Smallmouths that are staged to spawn on deeper rocky points near Smallmouth spawning areas. I have seen 5 pound and larger smallies come up from 20 foot water and explode on the Spooks and at times have had two smallies on cause another one will hit the front runner but have only been able to boat both fish a few times. Two big Smallies on at one time is more than most anglers can deal with including myself.......
Just something else for folks to think about with that time of the year approaching once again......

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
That totally makes sense. I think I'll give that a try....

I've seen guys catch a lot of fish on topwater with a wacky rig worm attached to the rear hook. Have you ever tried that one?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your probably not gonna believe this Sjk but I have never fished a wacky worm rig in my life...
Does not look like anything natural about it. but then again thats just me. I have heard lots of people say they have caught fish on them.....

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
You are correct....especially the ones with the extra piece that comes off the middle for rigging.
I think I may try it with a small fluke this spring. It seems that if they didn't want the spook they may take the fluke......

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where do you plan on putting the Fluke?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will do that with a C-Rig by using a 1/2 oz weight JNP as the sinker and then having a worm on the leader end and have caught doubles that way.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem......
Glad I can help

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe you don't need as much help as you do confidence in what you are fishing with for baits.....
I have found times that I thought I needed help and found I had a confidence problem with some of my baits......

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
sometimes I feel like I stick to the "old faithful baits" too much. I plan on working on some new techniques this year. For example, dropshotting. I've never even tried it...

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem is not sticking with old faithfuls. I have baits that I stick with at times that I probably should not do also but instead of changing baits I change colors and the way I work the bait by moving shallower or moving deeper because maybe the fish are not exactly where your fishing but suttle changes in water depths with the trolling motor and not the gas motor can make a big difference many times......

·
Premium Member
5,979 Posts
Good thread Softy... I've used two flukes before... one tied to my line with another attached to a leader off the main hook and that has worked well at times. I'll have to give yours a shot too.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good thread Softy... I've used two flukes before... one tied to my line with another attached to a leader off the main hook and that has worked well at times. I'll have to give yours a shot too.
Yea G3, I found this rig worked so well that I used it right up till I ran out of Front Runners. I found out that Norman re introduced them again last year and I bought 25 of them and just bought ten more the other day along with 5 more Bass colored Zara Spooks just in case they get hard to come by again. I found out you can modify a Tiny torpedo to work also by removing the rear hook and prop and using the rear o ring to tie on the Spook to leaving the front treble on but rquired harder pulls to get the spook to act correctly but it still worked but not as good as with Front Runners.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Softy what is a blade runner??? Is it a top water bait also. What size of spook are you using. I really like this concept. I have tried the pop r with a floating worm tied to the back. Just didn't like action of it, not natural look'n like you said.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Milkshake, it's not a blade runner, it's a Front Runner and it is made of balsa wood and painted up to mimic a small shad and has a reble hook on the bottom of it with line ties at the front and tail. You tie the tag end from teh rod tot eh nose of it and normally a 12 to 15 inch leader off the tail of it and then tie the spook on the tail of the leader line. I use the full size Bass colored Zara Spooks. It gives you plenty of distance with the casts. I have used other color spooks and they work but it is just something about that small bass type bait entering the hawgs turf that drives them nuts......

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks Softy. I think you said Norman baits made those right
The spook is it a super spook or the regular spook
. I know I'm just full of questions today.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Softy. I think you said Norman baits made those right
The spook is it a super spook or the regular spook
. I know I'm just full of questions today.
Yea Milkshake , you can look them up if you go to your search engine and type in Normans Front Runner Fishing Baits. It will give you several topics and pictures of all the new colors they have began making. I don't use the Super Spooks. I just use the original Spooks with three trebles in the bass color.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts