East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner

Drop-Shot 101

8K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  cmalinowski 
#1 ·
I know there have been a few discussions on this topic over on the other site but I found this article to be a pretty good source of "How To" information and thought I would share. Of course there are always differences in how you can tweak your line or lure but this article gives an overall good explanation of the concept. Feel free to add your 2 cents on ways you you set-up and use this technique and the different items you use with it.

How to Drop-Shot Link

God Bless & Good
!

See less See more
#3 ·
drop shot and shakey head both work good on Douglas but the fish you catch are a little on the small end. momma won't fish either one. sh4e says if she is going to fish she wants to catch a big one and 90% of the time she catches the biggest fish.
Adda Girl... Momma Snoot!

#5 ·
Well I kind of started putting the shakey and the drop shot together and fish'n it. Last year I thought I'd do little experimenting and combined the two togther. It does work, and thats all I'll say about that.

#7 ·
Well, I went and read the article and it is pretty basic stuff that most of the Drop Shot anglers are using and it is informative. I see that they don't make any suggestions to other types of baits beyond the Fluke or Minnow styles of baits. My partner and I began experimenting with other baits beyond the minnow type baits and began using a few more creature style baits and were pleasantly surprised. snoot you may not want Momma to read this part.........
but we caught some 3 and 4 pound fish often on the creature baits when using the Drop Shot rigs on underwater humps in 12 to 20 foot water. We found it to be very effective in midday fishing and did not require spinning rods and light lines either but we also found out you don't use those baby Drop Shot hooks either. Loose to many big fish.....

#8 ·
i was always under the impression the the drop shot rig was a finesse rig
Yea snoot, alot of people think things like that if it comes from either the Pro's, California or Japan but thats only because folks don't experiment enough like I do when I go out to practice.....

#11 ·
you mean you have forgoten so much that you have to go practice fish before you go fishing
Yes I do go practice before a tournament.......
No I have not forgot anything. The fish forget so I have to go jump start them up before the tournament and get them trained on the baits I want them to hit.............

#12 ·
Can you catch big fish like this? I thought both only got little fish. I like to think the next cast I will bring in my biggest fish yet.
Yea Momma , you can catch big fish on this outfit but it takes a different approach and different baits than minnow types.

It is very hard for me to explain to folks about some of the fishing techniques I use to catch fish without seeming like I am trying to sell baits. Because I make 180 different types of soft baits it gives me a much larger range of baits to use. It gives me an umlimited combinations of colors I can create in the baits so when I a trying to explain some of my techniques they require using my baits becuase my baits have different actions and they re act totally different in the water. Senko's Sink My Danny B' Stick bait is a stick bait that looks just like a 5" Senko except mine float. That is just one example of how my baits work and why it is so hard sometimes to explain techniques without sounding like a salesman. I just hope people can understand that when I am just a little vague about explaining things. Now with that said I will try and answer your questions.

Yes I catch alot of big fish on the Dropshot rigs. I use 14# test line in most cases and 2/0 and sometimes even 3/0 hooks because my baits will float those hooks better than injected baits. I have caught quite a few fish over 5 pounds on Drop Shot rigs and I use Bait casting rods and not spinning rods. I use Danny B 5" stick baits, 4" Paddle tail Shrimp, 4" Zipper Fries, 4" Tab Tail Grubs, and 5.5 Inch Tab Tail Worms on them and catch big fish on humps in 12 to 20 foot of water and on river and creek channel drops mostly. I caught 3 bass last year on a Vertical Bluff wall on Percy Priest Lake with the 4" Tab Tail Grub in Black Grape in 15 minutes in 30 foot water fishing vertically and had 16.02 pounds on a Drop Shot rig. 6 of the 11 new baits I added to my website the other day are baits I have been fishing with the last 3 years without sharing them with only a few elite people which were my fishing partners until I was sure it was something I felt folks could use and catch fish on. They work well so now I have offered them to the public. I know people like to keep secrets but you and snoot know that my baits work in the water different then regular injected baits so you know what I am talking about...........

#13 ·
Can you catch big fish like this? I thought both only got little fish. I like to think the next cast I will bring in my biggest fish yet.

Momma Snoot I love the shakey head and wanted to learn drop shot also, so I just combined the two. I put the shakey on the bottom instead of a plain ole sinker. Then tie a drop shot hook about 18" or so above it. No, there not a little fish bait either. A trip this last spring at Dale Hollow I had 5 Smallies over 4lbs in a matter of about 30 to 45 mins. Throwing a senko on a shakey head jig. The color of the senko was red shad by the way.

#14 ·
Welp, I ain't gonna get to carried away with this

cause I can usually count on dropshotin' for stubborn

or finicky bass,,,,,,,,,,,But instead of a dropshot weight,

"on occassion", I'll add a 3/8 or 5/16 stand-up jighead along

with some sorta plastic,,,it kinda doubles your chances....

Rat

#15 ·
Welp, I ain't gonna get to carried away with this

cause I can usually count on dropshotin' for stubborn

or finicky bass,,,,,,,,,,,But instead of a dropshot weight,

"on occassion", I'll add a 3/8 or 5/16 stand-up jighead along

with some sorta plastic,,,it kinda doubles your chances....

Rat

I do that with a small jig like a bitsy bug

#17 ·
Ok Im about to put yall into the wtf did he just say mode ... ready ready ?? huh are you ready ?

drop shot with large deer head and leather strips and marabou streamers .. muddler type fly but with thin 1/4 inch strips 3x the length of the hook and lots of marabou and a tad of flashabou for flash 100% guarantee you your fish have never seen it .. and just cant resist the quiver of the leather strips and bou in front of their noses .

I first made it for fly fishing .. then tried it for drop shot .. had been catching a few bass on a 4 inch worm in a hole one day .. but I could see alot more on graph that wouldn't take the worm, or a fluke... just happen to have this lure in my glove box .. decided to tie on .. sat there and caught 30 spots and smallmouth in a hour threw the fluke back in just to see if it was just luck .. nope .. wouldn't touch the plastic .. put the streamer back on and caught more fish.

try it sometime< I tied my own .. try some small saltwater streamers in shad colors

Let me know how it goes for you

#24 ·
ANYTIME, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE WATER IS CLEAR, AND AFTER A FRONT PASSES THROUGH. WHEN VERTICAL FISHING ANY WHERE YOU WOULD JIG A SPOON, WHEN YOU FIND BAITFISH SCHOOLED TIGHT. AND IF YOU ARE CASTING ANY FLAT GRAVEL OR SHALE POINT. ALSO GOOD AROUND DEEP DOCKS IN THE SUMMER.

#26 ·
ok i have never fished the drop shot but it seems like to me that you would get hung up a awful lot with that weight like it is do you not fish it in real rocky areas or do you mostly fish it on clay banks and gravel areas.

Boone, you can get hung up alot I guess, but the way the weight is designed it will pull off just before the point of line break, better to lose the weight than the whole rig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.