East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
it is possible i may have been misinformed. we are talkin about the same river correct? the big pigeon alongside interstate 40? i have never fished it but always heard before the state of tennesee sued the papermill in canton that it was polluted to the point of not many game fish left in it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
it is possible i may have been misinformed. we are talkin about the same river correct? the big pigeon alongside interstate 40? i have never fished it but always heard before the state of tennesee sued the papermill in canton that it was polluted to the point of not many game fish left in it.

Anyone thinking our govt is intelligent needs to check their own intelligence. Champion was sued and lost because of the dioxins they polluted the river with, however it never seemed to kill the fish. People on the other didn't do so well.

The biggest issue to the Pigeon is the tomato farms, they have literally killed sections of the river with silt and pollutants.

IMO the state targeted the wrong folks, or should have at least gotten to ag under control as well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Anyone thinking our govt is intelligent needs to check their own intelligence. Champion was sued and lost because of the dioxins they polluted the river with, however it never seemed to kill the fish. People on the other didn't do so well.

The biggest issue to the Pigeon is the tomato farms, they have literally killed sections of the river with silt and pollutants.

IMO the state targeted the wrong folks, or should have at least gotten to ag under control as well.
my source for this info was from a smokies fisheries biologist, whom i met when he was making a presentation on water quality, baitfish species, and reintroduction of game species on the big pigeon at the first annual troutfest. someone perhaps a little more qualified than yourself, government employee or not. however, what the river used to be, and who should have sued whom in yours, mine, or anyone else's opinion is not very important. the river is apparently doing fine(or better) and that is important. i seeked clarification and rather than answer my questions straightforward to help me understand something to the contrary of what i had believed you chose to belittle me. classy move guy. is that the purpose of this forum?

·
Registered
92 Posts
my source for this info was from a smokies fisheries biologist, whom i met when he was making a presentation on water quality, baitfish species, and reintroduction of game species on the big pigeon at the first annual troutfest. someone perhaps a little more qualified than yourself, government employee or not. however, what the river used to be, and who should have sued whom in yours, mine, or anyone else's opinion is not very important. the river is apparently doing fine(or better) and that is important. i seeked clarification and rather than answer my questions straightforward to help me understand something to the contrary of what i had believed you chose to belittle me. classy move guy. is that the purpose of this forum?

My post wasn't meant to belittle you and if you took it that way than you need to get some thicker skin.

The same biologists who closed brook trout streams to protect them, meanwhile the rainbows ran wild for years extending their range and ultimately harming the brook trout? Having worked with those "biologists" for more than a day or two I can assure you they have some holes to fill. Also, how would a biologist who works for the GSMNP know anything regarding a non GSMNP stream?

There has never been any reintroduction of native species into the Big Pigeon, in the 20 years I have been active in monitoring the river.

What is ironic is the "biologist" you listened to, didn't know the Big Pigeon was used to collect some rare darters to reintroduce them into the Little Pigeon more than a decade ago.

My retort is meant to discredit the source of your information, not you personally.

And the biggest fight for the future of the Pigeon is with the Tomato farms, they have destroyed the lower end of the river.

Also, it is one of the few streams in TN that is heavily enforced, and everyone who enjoys it owes a big thanks to TWRA for that and their management of the river. The GSMNP staff has done zero to my knowledge to help the river.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My post wasn't meant to belittle you and if you took it that way than you need to get some thicker skin.

The same biologists who closed brook trout streams to protect them, meanwhile the rainbows ran wild for years extending their range and ultimately harming the brook trout? Having worked with those "biologists" for more than a day or two I can assure you they have some holes to fill. Also, how would a biologist who works for the GSMNP know anything regarding a non GSMNP stream?

There has never been any reintroduction of native species into the Big Pigeon, in the 20 years I have been active in monitoring the river.

What is ironic is the "biologist" you listened to, didn't know the Big Pigeon was used to collect some rare darters to reintroduce them into the Little Pigeon more than a decade ago.

My retort is meant to discredit the source of your information, not you personally.

And the biggest fight for the future of the Pigeon is with the Tomato farms, they have destroyed the lower end of the river.

Also, it is one of the few streams in TN that is heavily enforced, and everyone who enjoys it owes a big thanks to TWRA for that and their management of the river. The GSMNP staff has done zero to my knowledge to help the river.
it was twra i spoke with and not gsmnp fisheries. my bad. as i stated before it is possible i had been misinformed. you said you did not mean to belittle, however the post did come across as disrespectful. thank you for the clarification otherwise. if that was not your intention then i have little recourse other than to apologize for the likewise disrespectful tone of my last post. call it thin skin if you will, but i was raised not to take disrespect, a lesson that has served me well through the years.

in other news....

you do have a good point. i was not aware of tomato farms being an issue, but i can see how runoff from pesticides, fertilizer and erosion would be a problem.

as for the rainbow/brookie deal, i don't know what more can be done that hasn't been tried already. aside from removing all fish from every stream and starting from scratch, which isn't a good option from any angle i can think of, we may have lost that battle long ago.

·
Registered
92 Posts
it was twra i spoke with and not gsmnp fisheries. my bad. as i stated before it is possible i had been misinformed. you said you did not mean to belittle, however the post did come across as disrespectful. thank you for the clarification otherwise. if that was not your intention then i have little recourse other than to apologize for the likewise disrespectful tone of my last post. call it thin skin if you will, but i was raised not to take disrespect, a lesson that has served me well through the years.

in other news....

you do have a good point. i was not aware of tomato farms being an issue, but i can see how runoff from pesticides, fertilizer and erosion would be a problem.

as for the rainbow/brookie deal, i don't know what more can be done that hasn't been tried already. aside from removing all fish from every stream and starting from scratch, which isn't a good option from any angle i can think of, we may have lost that battle long ago.
Werll I also apologize if I came across as taking a shot at you, that was certainly not my intention.

There really needs to be a focused effort to address the ag issues on the lower pigeon, it has really damaged the resource.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
the pigeon was polluted really bad and lots of the aquatic life suffered greatly but it was more than twenty years ago. It is doing really great now, dont know of a better place to catch big smallies.

·
Registered
92 Posts
the pigeon was polluted really bad and lots of the aquatic life suffered greatly but it was more than twenty years ago. It is doing really great now, dont know of a better place to catch big smallies.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but even with the Pigeon being a solid fishery there are a bunch of other rivers not too far away that have more big smallmouth than the Pigeon could ever hold and will ever hold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love the Pigeon for walleye and small jaws. What is being done by year seems to be working. The biggest small mouth I've witnessed was there. Of course he missed my lure with his mouth , hit it with his tail and flew about 4 ft skyward!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
ya the french broad is a monster river up there in newport, im sure there's a bigger fish in there but i always have an easier time catching in the big pig river. and they are always fighting really hard, love that

·
Registered
92 Posts
ya the french broad is a monster river up there in newport, im sure there's a bigger fish in there but i always have an easier time catching in the big pig river. and they are always fighting really hard, love that
The area of the French Broad between where the pigeon enters and del rio is in my opinion the best water in this state hands down. I fished it last weekend and between two of us we landed probably 100 fish with a dozen or so being over 4 lbs. nothing bigger than 6. None were weighed so the judgements could be adjusted to either side.

Even though the Big P is good, the FB up there is scary good. I would encourage you to give it a whirl.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.