East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner

bank fishing at Ijams boardwalk

9K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  mike243 
#1 ·
Hi,

I was reading at FISHING LOCATIONS IN CITY PARKS & GREENWAYS that your allowed to fish at the boardwalk at Ijams Nature Center. Just wondered if anybody has had any luck there. I have never seen anybody fishing from the boardwalk, seen plenty of boatfisherman in the area though. Also anybody ever fish at Will Skelton Greenway listed in above link, or Meades Quarry which is now a part of Ijams and fishing is allowed there, just wondering.

#3 ·
I fished the Ijam's quarry twice earlier this spring, only used artificial lures both times.

caught medium sized bluegill on a white/black 1/16 rooster tail, they wouldn't hit any other artificials. I saw a bass that appeared to be ~10" in the water during the first trip, he got spooked by the rooster tail and disappeared. haven't seen anything the other times. The bluegill were so picky with artificials, I wouldn't go back w/o worms or crickets. An Ijams employee told me they have never stocked anything into the quarry.

#4 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the info on the boardwalk and the Quarry. I never fished at the Quarry but many years ago, I swam across it back when I was in high school. I just got back into fishing, picked up a Shimano ultralight reel and mircrolite rod. Fished a pond and was using roostertails, the bluegill would eat those up. Nightcrawlers always seems to do good for panfish even caught a two pound + largemouth or spotted, have hard time telling which is which. I will try the roostertails at Meades Quarry this week and see what happens. Thanks, James

Oh by the way, I just put on some 2 pound Trilene fishing line, that is hard to find, just wondering though about breaking the line with a fish on it. I wanted to go this light so I can cast better. The orginal reel I had, a Microlite from WalMart that came with this rod I think had 6 lb monofilament on it. I respooled with 4 lb Stren, then when I bought this Shimano 500fj at Bass Pro this weekend I got some 2 lb line. Will it hold for any size panfish?

#11 ·
Hi, Thanks for the info on the boardwalk and the Quarry. I never fished at the Quarry but many years ago, I swam across it back when I was in high school. I just got back into fishing, picked up a Shimano ultralight reel and mircrolite rod. Fished a pond and was using roostertails, the bluegill would eat those up. Nightcrawlers always seems to do good for panfish even caught a two pound + largemouth or spotted, have hard time telling which is which. I will try the roostertails at Meades Quarry this week and see what happens. Thanks, James Oh by the way, I just put on some 2 pound Trilene fishing line, that is hard to find, just wondering though about breaking the line with a fish on it. I wanted to go this light so I can cast better. The orginal reel I had, a Microlite from WalMart that came with this rod I think had 6 lb monofilament on it. I respooled with 4 lb Stren, then when I bought this Shimano 500fj at Bass Pro this weekend I got some 2 lb line. Will it hold for any size panfish?
Yesterday two guys caught 15-20 bass on live minnows and using a slip bobber about 6' deep.

#6 ·
Adm there is another quarry off of John sevier hwy which we have caught some monster bass out of and you can put a canoe in it I will drive by today and get the name of road and send it to you it is a pricvate quarry but the guy lets anybody fish in it if they just pick up after themselves

#8 ·
There is an old smaller quarry in lenoir city that you can back a small bassboat into that I have been fishing recently. Caught mostly 10"-14" largemouth's. Only been able to get them to hit texas rigs and or carolina rigs off of ledges. Water is ultra clear as are all quarrys.

#9 ·
There is an old smaller quarry in lenoir city that you can back a small bassboat into that I have been fishing recently. Caught mostly 10"-14" largemouth's. Only been able to get them to hit texas rigs and or carolina rigs off of ledges. Water is ultra clear as are all quarrys.

Hi jwkj101401

I am 43 and years ago when I was active in diving, I remember taking a refresher course in a quarry right off exit 81 of I-75 in fact you could see it from the Interstate if you looked for it. My instructor had permission, last I heard though they had started quarrying again and was closed off. At first the water did not look too clear cause of all the aquatic plants, but once beyond that it was very clear. This quarry was too small though for a boat.

I tried Meades quarry which I live kinda close to a few weekends ago but could not get anything to hit the roostertails I was casting. It looked super clear the water. I noticed on the ground there a couple of cups that said meal on them. Not sure what those are for, maybe somebody just feeding the fish?

Been up in Cumberland county fishing a farm pond, been doing pretty good with roostertails and nightcrawlers and redworms. The man I bought the redworms from puts some sort of corn meal in with them I guess they feed on that. When I put the hook in the worms that yellowish color comes out from the meal. Also I am not sure if I am catching Kentucky Spotted bass or largemouth bass in this pond, saw a way to tell is if the end of the jaw line does not go beyond the eye it is a spotted bass, which these seem to be. Other then that I would have said they were largemouth.

#10 ·
Hi jwkj101401

I am 43 and years ago when I was active in diving, I remember taking a refresher course in a quarry right off exit 81 of I-75 in fact you could see it from the Interstate if you looked for it. My instructor had permission, last I heard though they had started quarrying again and was closed off. At first the water did not look too clear cause of all the aquatic plants, but once beyond that it was very clear. This quarry was too small though for a boat.

I tried Meades quarry which I live kinda close to a few weekends ago but could not get anything to hit the roostertails I was casting. It looked super clear the water. I noticed on the ground there a couple of cups that said meal on them. Not sure what those are for, maybe somebody just feeding the fish?

Been up in Cumberland county fishing a farm pond, been doing pretty good with roostertails and nightcrawlers and redworms. The man I bought the redworms from puts some sort of corn meal in with them I guess they feed on that. When I put the hook in the worms that yellowish color comes out from the meal. Also I am not sure if I am catching Kentucky Spotted bass or largemouth bass in this pond, saw a way to tell is if the end of the jaw line does not go beyond the eye it is a spotted bass, which these seem to be. Other then that I would have said they were largemouth.

You can also check their tongue for a tooth patch. It feels like sandpaper almost. If they have that, they are more than likely spotted bass (not always).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.