East Tennessee Fishing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Crawdad users,

I took my new (River horse's old) Crawdad out to the Clinch for a little float test today and left convinced that I need to rig up some sort of anchor system for it. It seems like it would be difficult to mount anything on this boat seeing as everytinig is plastic (I have the newer version). I guess I could just throw the anchor overboard and tie off to a seat or boat handle?

What do you guys use?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use a 15lb weight on mine. MJ just ties his off to the handle. Make sure you leave plenty of rope out when you do set anchor. Did you happen to catch any fish while you were trying out the new boat?

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
be weary of what you use as an anchor, I bought one of those mushroom anchors, which says great for river fishing, I had to cut the Anchor line after my first use as I got hung on Rocks and couldn't get it Undone. I now use a Straight Anchor, which basically an Old Bucket Pin off of Heavy Equipment. I have never got this Hung up, as it doesn't have any lips on it to hang up on. the one I have is about 12" long & 3" in dia. & weighs about 15 -20 lbs.

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
I have one of the tie-down rings used on rollbacks to hook the ratchets in. New it weighs about 7 or 8 pounds and I have a chain bolted together with my anchor line tied to the chain. Just remember even if you have trouble finding an anchor line tie off, your partners ankle is off limits, he might flail about going down and hit you with the anchor in panic, then where would you be?

·
Registered
338 Posts
i have a 10lb mushroom anchor i used a piece of angle iron before & i almost had to cut the line because it got caught in a rock the mushroom hasn't hung up yet

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
be weary of what you use as an anchor, I bought one of those mushroom anchors, which says great for river fishing, I had to cut the Anchor line after my first use as I got hung on Rocks and couldn't get it Undone. I now use a Straight Anchor, which basically an Old Bucket Pin off of Heavy Equipment. I have never got this Hung up, as it doesn't have any lips on it to hang up on. the one I have is about 12" long & 3" in dia. & weighs about 15 -20 lbs.

Got any more of them bucket pins
I can see a new business opportunity opening up for you

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys. As for the first trip out in the boat, well lets just say it was more of a learning experience than a fishing trip. I went solo down to Millers island on the Clinch on Saturday. After I put the boat in and paddled out into the river, I quickly realized that when I dropped the motor down, that I was in 12 inches of water and slowly drifting down river! Once I pulled the motor back up and got done fumbling around, I was only about 10 yards from the island rapids and had to step out of the boat and walk it upstream until I got out of the current and could motor upstream. I'm pretty happy that no one was around to witness this, as it would have been pretty histerical!!

After the drama, I pretty much just toured the big pool above the island and cast just enough times to decide I need an anchor (and apparently a wet suit).

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts