East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not to be rude or anything, But it couldn't have been much of a "test" if they never went over any rules mandated by TWRA. I would imagine that if you have to take a test to be a guide, that the number one rule implied should be the safety of your passengers....which should include Life preservers.

What? That doesn't have anything to do with it. Of course the safety of our passengers is our number one concern. But the fact that I understand that our guests, at a commercialized, liscensed company, must wear the proper gear does not automatically mean I should know that I have to have my PFD in the boat when I'm out fishing - without guests.

Why does everyone want to get so argumentative after we mearly suggest that the guy should have given us a warning? I never once said I didn't agree with the rule. I'm just saying that if you don't know a rule, then you shouldn't get fined the kind of money.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No you didn't have to know the Rules about fishing, but you should have altleast been taught the Rules of Boating, as if you are Certified Guide you should know all the Rule of the Water as it pertains to your vessel. as you are taking other peoples lives into your hands, including your own. and you will get a ticket as the Warden said: "then you should know better" because you are a Guide.

Well if that's how you, or anyone else here feels, don't ever go whitewater rafting on the Big Pigeon River in Hartford, TN. You can't say you weren't warned. Because all they teach you up there is the rules and regulations of whitewater rafting and being a raft guide. They don't know anything about the rules and regulations of private boating (and the two do indeed differ in several ways - look it up if you don't believe me) so they won't do a good job.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You cry babies go ahead and complain but they are looking out for your safety. I just wish there were more officers on TN lakes and rivers that would enforce the laws.
Agreed Momma

Especially since the warden knew within the first 30 seconds that I am a raft guide on that river.

No disrespect intended here but you of all people should have known this was a rule.

I speed, I get tickets, I pay them

I do a lot of traveling and will generally get one a year, I figure it's the price of doing something I want to do is all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No disrespect intended here but you of all people should have known this was a rule.

I speed, I get tickets, I pay them

I do a lot of traveling and will generally get one a year, I figure it's the price of doing something I want to do is all.

[/quote]

Well, all that aside, I still didn't know it was a rule. I sure wish I could see how that's my fault, I really do. I'm not being a smart-ace. I just didn't know the rule and me being a raft guide evidently didn't help any. But whatever, lessoned learned. But I won't change my opinion on the matter that a warning would have done the trick, and would have been much more fair.

And by the way, I know I already made this point but since you brought up the speeding thing - there are speed limit signs all over to warn us. Not true for PFD's in the boat.

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
You don't see Mike for weeks, then outa the blue here he is............

I thought something stunk when I logged back on after lunch!!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry TNraft guide you got a ticket but hopefully you learned an important lesson. I have several good friends that are professional fishing guides. They use rafts and drifters and are licensed by the states they fish to carry passengers. This licensure requires them to know the rules of boating and the fishing laws. They have to be insured also. If you want to call yourself a "guide" then act like one, be professional and quit complaining because you "didn't know". Its our own responsibility to know the rules not some guy that sold you a fishing license to teach you.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I guessed you missed my point.

If you are a raft guide and you are getting paid to take people on the river it's your reponsibility to know the rules.

Baaaaah MJ

·
Registered
36 Posts
flychunker, you do realize I'm a whitewater raft guide and not a fishing guide, right?

and whopper, I know the rules that concern me and guiding people on a whitewater trip. However, I didn't know the rules concerning private boating. Two different things. This "debate" is going nowhere because some of you insist on telling me how I should know because I'm a whitewater raft guide. Again, the fact that I'm a whitewater raft guide does not mean I should know the rules. Honestly, I didn't know there were ANY rules for someone out in their own little rubber raft (other than having your fishing licsense). If that makes me a moron and stands as a reason to get ridiculed by all of you, then I guess I'll try to accept that.

And by the way, whowever wrote "no PFD's on board..." on my signiture, that's B.S. and you are a coward if you don't reveal yourself. I don't want to make a big deal out of this but I know none of the rest of you would like it if people were messing with your personal info on here. I was under the impression that you could have your own little personal stuff on here and wouldn't get it messed with. Evidently I was wrong. If it was you, why don't you write me a PM?

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
Seems like everyone comes out on here to beat up on people sometimes, YES TNraftGuide should have known the rules and it was his responsiblity, but I think all he is saying is why couldn't old dude have just said " I let you off this time but you better heve PFD's on you at all times from now on" and I bet he would have listened and allwyas had a PFD with him. It is all our responsibility to know the laws and rules of the water but it seems like the TWRA guys don't believe in anything except written tickets..... How many of us has been speeding and pulled over by a police and then they let us go and tell us to slow down next time.. Same applys, but you can't fault them for doing there job, just wish you could have got a verbal warning instead of a $200 fine, that SUCKS!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
If that makes me a moron and stands as a reason to get ridiculed by all of you

I was not trying to ridicule you at all, just stated the obivious to me. Fishing or no fishing I felt that if you were a raft guide you should have known the rules period.

It sucks to get a ticket and to pay out any money at all, but as some has said at least you have learned something from this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seems like everyone comes out on here to beat up on people sometimes, YES TNraftGuide should have known the rules and it was his responsiblity, but I think all he is saying is why couldn't old dude have just said " I let you off this time but you better heve PFD's on you at all times from now on" and I bet he would have listened and allwyas had a PFD with him. It is all our responsibility to know the laws and rules of the water but it seems like the TWRA guys don't believe in anything except written tickets..... How many of us has been speeding and pulled over by a police and then they let us go and tell us to slow down next time.. Same applys, but you can't fault them for doing there job, just wish you could have got a verbal warning instead of a $200 fine, that SUCKS!!

Thanks man, very well said. That's all I'm tryin to say. And it sure does seem like everyone comes out here to beat up on people sometimes. You better believe I'll never be out there w/ out PFD's ever again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There ya go it may be the best $200 you ever spent

Well I'm just sayin, a warning would have done the same. If dude would have said, "It is a law to have PFD's in the boat at all times, even in a non-motorized rubber raft in no rapids" I would been surprised and then made sure I follow that newly-learned rule as I would never want to have to pay $215 that I bearly have. I don't want it to seem like I'm dragging this debate on and on, I just want to get that point across. I'm done here.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.