East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out and fished from 11 to 5 with Troy yesterday and as xpressman said, it was tough! I caught a very nice brown trout with the biggest spots on it around noon on a f-n-f. That was it until about 4:30 when we hooked up smallies on back to back cast. Mine would keep, but Troy's was a toad. Somewhere around 5lbs. They came on a drop shot, but that was it for the day.

When we got back to the TVA ramp there were bass floating around every where from the rodeo. They no doubt had caught them deep, brought them to the weigh in, turned them loose in 5' of water, and left them for dead! That's why I hate the rodeos! They kill more fish than the meat hunters ever thought about! I can at least understand wanting some fish for the table, but to kill a good mess of fish and feed them to the turtles..... I don't understand?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
thanks for the report!!

thats why our club gave out papers on how to fizz a fish to release the air out plus they are going to give out needles to do it with. we hope it will save some fish.

·
Registered
5,996 Posts
Thanks for the
report. Congrats on the fish also.
Like you, I hate to see fish floating around everywhere after weigh ins. People really need to try to do everything possible to ensure the fish are realeased to be caught another day, and not by the turtles.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Dang, thats awful to hear!

I got out and fished from 11 to 5 with Troy yesterday and as xpressman said, it was tough! I caught a very nice brown trout with the biggest spots on it around noon on a f-n-f. That was it until about 4:30 when we hooked up smallies on back to back cast. Mine would keep, but Troy's was a toad. Somewhere around 5lbs. They came on a drop shot, but that was it for the day.

When we got back to the TVA ramp there were bass floating around every where from the rodeo. They no doubt had caught them deep, brought them to the weigh in, turned them loose in 5' of water, and left them for dead! That's why I hate the rodeos! They kill more fish than the meat hunters ever thought about! I can at least understand wanting some fish for the table, but to kill a good mess of fish and feed them to the turtles..... I don't understand?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Thanks for the
report. Congrats on the fish also.
Like you, I hate to see fish floating around everywhere after weigh ins. People really need to try to do everything possible to ensure the fish are realeased to be caught another day, and not by the turtles.
Really I hate to see fish go to wast like that Sorry for the slow day but congrats on the big fish

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thanks for the report i hate to hear about the fish that was dead. How deep was the fish you caught on the FNF.

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i don't Tx fish so i will ask the same question again. isn't there supposed to be someone to look after the fish in a situation like that or as said do they just weigh in and throw'em back and walk away?
i see this all the time on Douglas, after the Tx's there's usually several large 3-4lb lM floating around and swimming both upsidedown sideways with no one around. do the guys just weigh in and leave.
Not at these little rodeos snoot... It's usually just some guy with a set of scales and how the fish are taken care of is up to the person that caught them...

The fish we caught were around 25' and they didn't need to be fizzed, but obviously those were caught deeper....

·
Registered
636 Posts
Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear about them leaving the fish like that. My club I fish TX'S is kinda of like CB'S. Everyone looks around after the fish are released to make sure any aren't floating around. A bunch of us carry needle's to release air from there bladder to help them go back down to the depth's they came. If any are still floating we net them and work with them till they can go back down before we leave the ramp. If any are dead someone usually take them home and eats them. But not all club's are the same.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Thanks for the report. Sorry to hear about them leaving the fish like that. My club I fish TX'S is kinda of like CB'S. Everyone looks around after the fish are released to make sure any aren't floating around. A bunch of us carry needle's to release air from there bladder to help them go back down to the depth's they came. If any are still floating we net them and work with them till they can go back down before we leave the ramp. If any are dead someone usually take them home and eats them. But not all club's are the same.

thanks for the report 371.....Ditto this is the way I think it should be done.

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
killer fish there! thanks for the info thought about hitting boone tomorrow, but i think i'll try soho

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nice smallie. Good job.
I hate to hear about those fish from the rodeo. We need to make those rodeo people aware that this is happening. I'm sure several of them have found this great (new) fishing site and will see our concern and address the problem. Boone is a great fishery and I hate to hear things like this happening. You can't save them all after a tourney, but everyone needs to do what they can. Thanks for reporting this. We need to be careful, even with cold water tourneys. Take care of our resource - Kiss 'em, hug 'em, throw them back (carefully).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts