East Tennessee Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
***More Pictures in my gallery. Didn't want to post many and take up space here***

I know I have already got some pictures in the "Boat Pictures" section, but I Just figured since I restored my boat, I would post it on the restoration section. Holeshot, This is a great New Topic for the new site!!!

I bought the boat, motor and trailer for a project! It was in pretty rough shape as you can see.

The trailer was rusted, the lights didn't work. Tires were dry rotted. Oxidation was terrible on the top cap. Floors were in need of some attention as well as the carpet.

It had an old Scout Trolling motor that didn't work

I had to run all new livewell lines as well as new aeriators and a bilge pump. Redid all wiring and new fuses in the fuse panel. Switches had the wires cut, so Basically had to rework the whole electrical system.

Stripped the old carpet out and while I was at it, installed a new Recessed Trolling Motor Tray. ( I had to walk around the garage for a while, trying to pump myself up to make that first cut!!

After the carpet was out, I went ahead and reinforced the the floor with several layers of fiberglass. There was a rotten spot in front of the passenger seat. Filled it up with fiberglass and made it level with the rest of the floor, thats when i added the layers. Really strenghted it!

Wet sanded the top cap for over 6 hrs, then used an electric buffer and put a few coats of wax on. It really made a diffrence. It didn't get all the oxidation out, but 90% is gone.

I installed the new carpet, seats, cleaned up the console, Sanded the trailer down, put new bunk boards and carpet on the trailer, new lights. I used the roll on bedliner for the trailer. It really turned out good. I also made my own spare tire carrier and welded it to the trailer, due to the fact I didn't have a spare. Installed new trailer light kit.

My maiden voyage, I noticed water leaking in the back, about a gallon every 2 hrs or so. My buddy Terry helped me and we took the motor completely off the boat and i cleaned all the old silicone off and re-sealed everything in the back. Put the motor back on and to this day, It doesn't leak a drop. I have also updated the electronics from the old humminbird and eagle, to two new Eagle Fishmark 480's. as well as a Pro Pole Power Pedestal seat post, Added a light in the livewell, custom fit a courtesy Light on the side of the console and made my own recirculaton system with PVC pipes. Custom made stickers for the outside of the hull. The wheels are the same, i just had My Buddy get them Powder Coated Chrome. Just couldn't stand the white! My next big project that I am thinking of is to strip the white paint off the motor and paint it the Johnson Dark Grey or blue color. Can't stand that white much either.

This is some of the latest pictures after most of the mods have been done.

In some of the pictures I had installed a Minn Kota Trolling Motor, but have since changed that and Now I have an OMC with more Thrust! I have to Thank My Good Buddy Snoot for that!!!!

Anyways, here are some pictures of what it looks like now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
QUOTE " After the carpet was out, I went ahead and reinforced the the floor with several layers of fiberglass. There was a rotten spot in front of the passenger seat. Filled it up with fiberglass and made it level with the rest of the floor, thats when i added the layers. Really strenghted it! "

Hey man .. weak floor usually means rotted wood under the fiberglass you just laid , and rot only gets worse cant hide it or cover it for long you would have been better to at least checked the soft spot by cutting with a hole saw to get good look to make sure wasn't rot than to just fill in.

Most boat manufactures used plywood floors and only fiberglassed the top sire of the wood, leaving the bottom side exposed to moisture .. better ones encased the wood in fiberglass.. even those who did it right that way, used Stainless Steel screws, to screw the top half of the hull to the floor, even with silicone , eventually water finds its way in.

Same thing on Transoms small stress cracks in fiberglass over time or screws and water drains all not properly sealed lead to transom wood core rot, which eventually leads to motor in lake, if ignored. Reinforcing with metal etc .. wont stop it for long.. only solution to rot is get it out .. and get the other good wood very very dry before re-glassing in new wood.

Ive done alot of research on these boats over last few yrs .. and have worked on quite a few of mine and friends .. its all the same .. rot cant be stopped by no other means .. other than Annihilation

Todays boats 99.9% are 100% wood free so they shouldn't have any issues like boats from around 2004 and back have from rotted wood.

This was just food for thought to ALL who are or will be starting a project boat .. or are thinking about it!

But what you have done does look great

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE " After the carpet was out, I went ahead and reinforced the the floor with several layers of fiberglass. There was a rotten spot in front of the passenger seat. Filled it up with fiberglass and made it level with the rest of the floor, thats when i added the layers. Really strenghted it! "

Hey man .. weak floor usually means rotted wood under the fiberglass you just laid , and rot only gets worse cant hide it or cover it for long you would have been better to at least checked the soft spot by cutting with a hole saw to get good look to make sure wasn't rot than to just fill in.

I actually did cut the rotted spot out. Cut to the fresh wood and cleaned, dried and let set for several days before I refiberglassed. That's what I mean when I said I filled it up with new fiberglass layers. I just didn't make myself clear. It was just a small area.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great looking job, and boat Jon, plus you've got probably as good of a 2-stroke outboard ever made hanging on the back.

·
Banned
6,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great looking job, and boat Jon, plus you've got probably as good of a 2-stroke outboard ever made hanging on the back.

I've been told that by alot of people. Said that particular motor is pretty much bullet proof! So Far, I have never had any mechanical problems, just a power pack went out. She runs Great for what it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts